Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sugar Cookie Icing

Today was our fifth snow-day-so-stay-home-from-school day out of the last seven days of school. During our spare time my girls and I have been searching for the perfect sugar cookie recipe. We like to make them for Valentine's Day every year. Every year we try a new recipe. This time we tried more than one recipe and we still haven't found a keeper. I asked the girls if we should try another recipe today and they both said, "No!" so we didn't. I think my favorite one so far was this one from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. But I like the nutmeg in old-fashioned sugar cookies. So I would add 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg to the dough just for a little extra flavor. These cookies turn out nice and flat, unlike the big, poofy ones in the picture. They work great with our new favorite icing. This icing dries hard and glossy after a couple of hours and the cookies can be stacked and/or wrapped in cellophane. When using two colors, the top color doesn't mix in with the bottom color.

We filled some plastic candy making bottles that we found at JoAnn Fabric and Crafts with the icing. Then we squeezed it on with very little mess. Well, except for the sprinkles. They were a very large mess, but so worth it.
Ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
5 teaspoons milk
4 teaspoons corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavoring

Directions:
Whisk all ingredients together until smooth and glossy. You may need to add 1/2 teaspoon of milk at a time to get the right consistency. Do not add extra corn syrup or it will take longer for the icing to dry. Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring to each. Dip cookies, paint them with a brush, or use plastic squirt bottles to frost.

2 comments:

  1. if you like a softer cookie and with nutmeg in it I should send you the recipe from My grandmother that we have used for years. It is by far our fav. sugar cookie recipe! I love our icing too, but that icing looks fun for kids since you can put it in bottles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda-
    Yes, please send both recipes to me. Thanks! I'm not really a cookie person, so any help in this area is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete