Thursday, February 17, 2011

Soft Buttery Breadsticks

Most of my family doesn't like most soups. Don't ask me why. It doesn't make sense to me. They could eat Mexican food every day and I could eat soup everyday. So we had some negotiations during dinner the other day and we decided that I would make soup once a week and Mexican once a week. Done deal! I do have pity on them a little bit as I try to make my own noodles, use random vegetables, and try a bunch of strange recipes. Some good, some not so good. I make these breadsticks to make up for the soup. It keeps everyone happy.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 stick butter

Directions:
Mix all ingredients (except butter) in bread maker on dough cycle. (Or make by hand or with a mixer and let raise until double). When cycle ends, roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness. Use a pizza cutter and cut into 1 1/2 inch strips. Melt butter and pour on large cookie sheet. Dip a strip in butter, fold in half length-wise and twist holding both ends. Place on cookie sheet and turn to cover in butter. Continue with all dough strips and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, herbs, or whatever else you would like. Cover and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. I could eat soup every day. In fact, there are weeks when we eat soup every night. :D Luckily Krynn doesn't mind.

    ReplyDelete