Monday, March 28, 2011

Brittany's Pumpkin Muffins

One of my favorite things about going home to my parents' house is the smell of breakfast. My mom cooked breakfast all of the time while we were growing up. These muffins became a regular favorite in the morning when I would come home on the weekends from college. The original recipe is from a sweet girl in Bear Lake that I grew up with named Brittany. Despite her special needs, she still recognizes me and remembers my name from 15 years ago. I usually see her every couple of years and she always hugs me or holds my hand and sincerely asks me how I am doing. When I make these muffins, I can't help but think of her beaming smile and twinkling eyes.

Ingredients:
1 16 ounce can pumpkin puree
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup butter (original recipe uses margarine)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
3 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup water
1 8 ounce package chocolate chips

Directions:
Cream together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, and butter in mixer. Add soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix well. Add flour and water and mix just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Scoop into greased or lined muffin tins or loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes for mini muffins and 25 minutes for regular sized muffins. Makes 24 mini muffins plus 16 regular muffins. For loaves, cooking time varies depending on size. When toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment