Monday, April 4, 2011

Chicken Salad Sandwiches

I have a husband who refuses to eat mayonnaise or anything that looks, feels, tastes, or smells like it. His restriction rules out things like fry sauce, yellow sauce, and actually pretty much any kind of sandwich, burger, or wrap sauce on the planet. One time early in our marriage, very early mind you, I sneakily added one teaspoon of mayonnaise into a southwestern wrap spread. He took one bite and I ended up eating about 6 wraps by myself over the next few days. And so that is how this recipe came to be. I love chicken salad sandwiches. These ones have no mayo. Cream cheese is the substitute. Works wonders. I aim to please my man, especially if he's subjected to eating girly food like this for dinner every once in a while. Not that he's complaining.

Ingredients:
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (Season 2 breasts with salt and pepper and cook them in a slow cooker for a few hours.)
1/4 cup green onions, diced
10 grapes, sliced lengthwise in thirds
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)

Directions:
Combine cream cheese, milk, salt, and pepper and mix until smooth and creamy. Add remaining ingredients and mix lightly. Serve with green leaf lettuce on rolls or in cream puffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment