Saturday, June 5, 2010

French Bread Sandwich Buns

I love to cook a hearty sandwich filling in my crock pot all day and then make these buns for an easy evening meal. These buns work perfect for French dip and meatball sandwiches. They're also great deli sandwich buns, but I especially like them for hot sandwiches. I use this same recipe when I make a loaf of French bread only I make one loaf instead of six.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
4 cups of flour (more or less)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast (I prefer the SAF brand)
egg white, whisked

Combine yeast and warm water and let it set for about 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well then knead 7 - 8 minutes. Put in bowl, cover with tea towel, and let raise about 50 minutes. Punch down dough, then divide into six pieces. Shape into narrow loaves and place on greased cookie sheets. Cut slits on top with sharp knife. Cover and raise for 30 minutes. Carefully brush with egg white. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Brush with egg white again and bake an additional 15 minutes.

* I love my bread maker and actually do all of the mixing, kneading, and raising on the dough cycle and then take it out to shape into loaves, raise again and bake.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Erin! Those look like something from a bakery. Yum! Do you have a recipe for meatball subs? That sounds fun to make.

    ReplyDelete