Saturday, June 19, 2010

Blueberry French Toast Bake

Almost every day I teach piano lessons right before dinner time so these kinds of recipes are my favorite. I make this early in the morning and let it sit in the fridge all day. Pop it in the oven while I teach and Wa Lah, a nice warm dinner -- maybe I should say breakfast -- is served within ten minutes after my students leave. I use my own French bread recipe which is a bit more dense than bread you buy at the store. Works great!


Ingredients:
1 loaf French bread, sliced in thick pieces
5 eggs
1 cup of half and half
1 cup milk
1 1/4 cups brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions:
Arrange bread in a greased (be sure to grease) 13 X 9 inch pan. In a bowl, combine the eggs, half and half, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate a minimum of 5 hours.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Turn bread slices over. Sprinkle pecans over bread. Combine butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar; drizzle over top. Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

1 comment: