Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

Jessica put this recipe on our family recipe blog last week and I knew I had to make them. I love pumpkin anything. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any canned pumpkin in the grocery stores. So I was telling some of my friends about this recipe and the next day one of them brought me a can of pumpkin. She found it at the store and stocked up. So she was the one taking all of the pumpkin! By the way, today it was my turn and I bought a ton of pumpkin, too. Is there anything worse than not being able to cook with pumpkin during this time of year? No. I don't think so. These brownies are so good that I may or may not have had them as the main dish of my breakfast and lunch the day after I made them. Thank goodness I just ate the last one and they are gone! Happy Fall, ya'll!

Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling

Ingredients:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 large beaten egg, plus 2 tablespoons beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tablespoons flour

Brownie Batter

Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 cup flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 inch square pan with cooking spray. Make the pumpkin filling first. Beat cream cheese and sugars together with a mixer, then reduce speed and beat in the pumpkin, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in the flour. Set aside.

In a second bowl, beat the butter, salt and sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate chips, then stir in the flour.

Pour all but about 3/4 cup of the chocolate mixture into the pan. Spoon the pumpkin mixture evenly over the brownie layer. Drop reserved brownie batter over the pumpkin layer to give the brownies a marbled look. Bake on the center rack at 350 for about 55 minutes. Let cool for at least two hours at room temperature prior to cutting. Cut into 16 squares.

When doubling this recipe, the egg in the cheesecake equals three eggs. Pour into an 8X8 and a 9 X 13 pan. Makes a very tall, thick brownie.

3 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I might have to try those this fall:) I have 2 cans of pumpkin left in my stash from last year...I haven't found it this year yet either...and I had to search for it last year! Where did you find yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found lots of pumpkin at Kroger and Wal-Mart yesterday. I would go get some if I were you! Hurry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, your picture is much, much prettier than mine! We should replace mine with yours over on Little Red Hen.

    ReplyDelete