Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Homemade Refrigerator Rolls

My Mom makes some of the best rolls ever. I'm pretty sure that multiple people have participated in roll-eating contests at the dinner table to see who can eat the most rolls in one meal. When I would come home from college, I always looked forward to smelling and eating these rolls during our Sunday dinner. I adapted my Mom's recipe for my bread machine. Mom has an awesome bread mixer from "Tradio on the Radio" that can make at least eight loaves of bread at a time. My Bausch doesn't cut it. So I split the recipe in half and make it in the bread maker. I love to make these rolls and then put them in the fridge until I'm ready to cook them. Olivia, always the decorator, put Italian parsley on these ones and smeared them with melted butter prior to cooking.


Ingredients:
1 cup lukewarm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon yeast

Directions:
Put ingredients in bread maker according to manufacturer directions. Set to dough cycle. Grease 9 x 13 inch pan. When cycle ends, cut dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into round balls. Place in pan. Cover with tea towel and place in fridge until ready to cook. Take out of fridge and let rise for about 30 minutes. Or skip the fridge and cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

2 comments: